The mid-term evaluation should:
- Present an assessment of the impact (expected and unexpected) achieved through the implementation of the Generation Change Programme with a focus on the overarching outcomes and lessons learnt so far.
- Present an assessment of the effectiveness, to which extent the objectives are being achieved, of the Generation Change Programme and identify learnings, best practices, including opportunities and challenges.
- Present an assessment of the relevance and added value of Plan International for strengthening civil society to become legitimate drivers of change and able to hold duty bearers accountable for commitments made on children’s rights and equality for girls
- Formulate a set of recommendations and suggested adaptations to improve the Generation Change Programme targeting Plan International Sweden, Plan International country, regional and global offices, and partner organisations / networks.
The mid-term evaluation will commence in January/February 2022 and will be finalized in June 2022, covering about 90 –100 working days for the consultancy team contracted. Below is a tentative time plan for the mid-term evaluation:
- January: Procurement and signing of contract. In March, the Terms of Reference for the evaluation is shared within Plan International and with partner organisations.
- February and March: Submission of inception report. Desk review and presentation of an overview of the support provided, and results achieved, as part of the Sida CIVSAM framework.
- April: In-country programme visits and learning opportunities.
- May: Complementary interviews, report writing and dissemination.
- May: First initial findings shared for feedback from Plan International Sweden
- June: The final mid-term evaluation report is submitted in June and is preceded by a review and validation process.
This Terms of Reference is subject to further operationalization in an inception report which is drafted and presented by the successful candidate(s). In the inception report, the evaluation questions are refined and supported by a detailed methodology and tools including sampling approach and work plan.
Selection criteria for consultant/s
We are looking for a team of consultants who can demonstrate the following:
- Strong technical knowledge and practical experience of working to advance gender equality, as well as experience of working with children and young people;
- Excellent experience of conducting evaluations of similar focus and scope in development contexts;
- Extensive experience of developing and applying methodological approaches including quantitative and qualitative elements;
- Strong experience in participatory evaluation methods, particularly for all actors of civil society.
- Excellent understanding of civil society strengthening in general and for children and young people’s rights in particular;
- Excellent understanding of the thematic priorities under the Generation Change Programme, including child protection, sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), participation & governance, and gender equality;
- Ability and knowledge on how to conduct participatory evaluation and learning processes with children, young people and local civil society.
- Excellent communication and report writing skills;
- Ability to gather data and conduct in-country visits in our programme countries;
- Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in French, Spanish and/or Arabic is highly desirable.
- We are looking for a team of consultants that are highly collaborative, flexible and knowledgeable in the area of civil society strengthening.
- Familiarity with Plan International is an advantage.
- A global team is preferred as COVID travel restrictions have limitations.
How to apply
Please send an application detailing how your experience meets the requirements highlighted above, as well as costs and availability. The application should be maximum 5 pages (excluding CV). The application should include:
- A brief presentation of the evaluation team and set-up;
- A quote for consulting fee in EURO (travel costs to be detailed at a later stage and would also be covered by Plan International Sweden as well as other costs related to the in-country visits);
- A statement of availability throughout the duration of the evaluation.
Please contact Agnes Björn (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
Final proposals should be submitted by 9 December to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com